Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Can I have my "A" yet?

Artist. Boisean. Inventor. My teacher. As I pondered this last entry of my blog, besides thinking of how soon the semester was going to be over, I thought about who should be my final artist. Maybe a classicist, I thought, or an impressionist. Nay! I think the best artist I could choose to finish off this semester is my very own Boise State Art Foundations 108 teacher, Erin Cunningham.
arts_ErinCunningham.jpg


Having done some research, I discovered an interview of Cunningham in our local paper, The Boise Weekly. Granted this interview was taken in 2007, I still found some interesting things about my teacher and discovered some of her artwork that struck me as "something Erin would draw." Her world of "sniglets" came to life as she described for the interviewer little turtle-necked creatures in sometimes violent scenes. My particular favorite was described as a lone "sniglet" skating across an ice rink while surrounded by bodies of others. Of this Cunningham said, "I think that a lot of people are like that. You just skate on because, you know, what can you do?"

Though she teaches my mixed media sculpture class, she has mentioned numerous times that she works best in paint. Many have commented on her work as being deeply in touch with the human condition. Her ideas are original and smart in an age where the internet makes us question which ideas are really unique and which are stolen. Cunningham won first place for Idaho's Best Visual Artist and she continues her work today.

 





THE END.

No comments:

Post a Comment